Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live PLO Podcast No. 44: Hands vs Check-Raisers

CLP_CraigCLP_Craig Posts: 776Administrator
Terp talks hands from a very check-raise happy game.

Episode posts 11:00am PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/hands-vs-check-raisers
Tagged:

Comments

• DrSpaceDrSpace Posts: 716Subscriber
    edited May 2018
    I always enjoy you your work. Very well done podcast.

Since I do not play that much PLO but study it a lot I am far less experienced in exploits and player pool tendencies but have a pretty good grip on what something like optimal-like strategies or balanced strategies are.

I think hand 2 when you bet $100 with 78 boat I doubt you are ever bluffing but that is fine. We would bluff a rec player bigger there and bet smaller for value. Such is live poker. Maybe we can under bet bluff a nitty reg. but not a rec. player. Agree? Which is what you try in hand 3.

I think the last hand seems not good to me. You want to play someone with known tendencies and ranges in position and then let the button in the hand. That makes the hand a crap shoot as it was even though it worked in your favor. It could have just as easily been you that was misled by the button's poor play. Agree?

How about if we roughly min raise preflop. We have an A blocker and leverage position because the reasonable opener can come back over the top and we look like we are inviting this to happen. We can then call a 4! I think with our hand and stacks if need be. If we are flatted we can rep. AA preflop and this play can self balance with some actual AA combos. This seem reasonable ? This hand is not a very good multiway hand I believe and as played is maybe marginally profitable if I had to guess even with your skill advantage.

The river bluff seems bad to me. I like the idea a lot but the described opener has too strong a range. We unblock KK and that hand was not folding to your sizing often enough including it seems here if the button folds. The opener also blocks AK a lot and should snap call you with that likely hand. You are not deep enough to get a fold. If you had isolated the preflop raiser preflop the pot is still less bloated if the whole min raise thing works. Just a thought. Fold the river IMO 100% at this stack depth and configuration. But it sure is nice to get lucky once in a while ! No shame in that.

Thank you again for the podcast -- really good work.
  • DrSpaceDrSpace Posts: 716Subscriber
    DrSpace wrote: »
    I always enjoy you your work. Very well done podcast.

Since I do not play that much PLO but study it a lot I am far less experienced in exploits and player pool tendencies but have a pretty good grip on what something like optimal-like strategies or balanced strategies are.

I think hand 2 when you bet $100 with 78 boat I doubt you are ever bluffing but that is fine. We would bluff a rec player bigger there and bet smaller for value. Such is live poker. Maybe we can under bet bluff a nitty reg. but not a rec. player. Agree? Which is what you try in hand 3.

I think the last hand seems not good to me. You want to play someone with known tendencies and ranges in position and then let the button in the hand. That makes the hand a crap shoot as it was even though it worked in your favor. It could have just as easily been you that was misled by the button's poor play. Agree?

How about if we roughly min raise preflop. We have an A blocker and leverage position because the reasonable opener can come back over the top and we look like we are inviting this to happen. We can then call a 4! I think with our hand and stacks if need be. If we are flatted we can rep. AA preflop and this play can self balance with some actual AA combos. This seem reasonable ? This hand is not a very good multiway hand I believe and as played is maybe marginally profitable if I had to guess even with your skill advantage.

The river bluff seems bad to me. I like the idea a lot but the described opener has too strong a range. We unblock KK and that hand was not folding to your sizing often enough including it seems here if the button folds. The opener also blocks AK a lot and should snap call you with that likely hand. You are not deep enough to get a fold. If you had isolated the preflop raiser preflop the pot is still less bloated if the whole min raise thing works. Just a thought. Fold the river IMO 100% at this stack depth and configuration. But it sure is nice to get lucky once in a while ! No shame in that.

Thank you again for the podcast -- really good work.

@TerpHimself
  • TerpHimselfTerpHimself Posts: 329Subscriber
    Hey @DrSpace sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for tagging me!

In terms of the final hand, I agree with your point about 3betting pre given our hand. A blocker, some connectivity, also always good to stay aggressive. Given the spot we ended up in, being sandwiched between two players was not ideal, and we were lucky that the holdings of the Villains were not reversed.

I can understand your thoughts about the river. I don't want to get caught up in being results-oriented, so I appreciate the conversation. I think the line is too thin if you run the pre flop raiser's range, and then include the button (who can accidentally run into some full houses that he will never fold, as illustrated by what he called with on the river). I'm not going to claim "live reads", b/c the button's call was actually the impetus for the original V deciding to release KK.

I think I misjudged the strength of the original V and the button bailed me out. Appreciate the analysis!