Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Is this an easy call or not?

poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
edited April 2018 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
1/3 $500 max bet

This is the same V as my post here:
http://www.crushlivepoker.com/forums/discussion/13212/what-should-i-do-in-this-3-bet-pot-with-aks

This hand happens several hands after my first hand with him.

So, I didn't have any information about V at all. He just sat down.

V's stack ~450
Hero's stack about the same

Folds to Hero in MP1 with K Q :s: opens to $10

V on the button calls, everyone folds, heads up to the flop

K 5 8 ($24)

Hero bets $15, V calls

Turn A ($54)

Hero bets $30, V calls

River 4 :s: ($114)

Hero checks, V bets $65

Hero?
Tagged:

Comments

• Oback2Oback2 Posts: 208Subscriber
    edited April 2018
    I looked at your other thread just now - I feel like you’re just monkey betting a lot and not really sure why you’re betting. why are you betting turn here? I’m more inclined to check and maybe go for some thin value on river if Villian checks back turn

AP; I’m folding river... what bluffs does Villian have? 67 gets there, diamonds get there, ace high floats got there and Villian isn’t going to vb a worse hand than yours here
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
    Oback2 wrote: »
    I looked at your other thread just now - I feel like you’re just monkey betting a lot and not really sure why you’re betting. why are you betting turn here? I’m more inclined to check and maybe go for some thin value on river if Villian checks back turn

AP; I’m folding river... what bluffs does Villian have? 67 gets there, diamonds get there, ace high floats got there and Villian isn’t going to vb a worse hand than yours here

I'm betting the turn because I think an Ace is a great card to continue. It does favor the PFR.
    Also, if I check every time an Ace comes after leading, then everyone knows I don't have an Ace and they can just abuse me.

67 gets there, but only 67 of diamonds (1 combo). I'm not sure any other 67 will continue 2 streets.

Flush gets there but I play with flopzilla and flushes are not that common in anyone's opening range
    edited April 2018
    an ace, especially is not a great card to continue betting with KQ. With that logic then you’re betting your entire range on an A coming on the turn? I can just abuse you by raising all A turns as you will have far too many marginal hands to call down. Moreover, you should have some Ax in your check calling turn range... chances are your double barrral frequency is far too high and you’re burning $ IMO

I disagree, V is on the button and will have a fair amount of diamond combos in his calling range pre, and we’ve played 1 hand with this guy so it’s hard to say what his range is (as is does he call a raise with 67o)
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
    Oback2 wrote: »
    an ace, especially is not a great card to continue betting with KQ. With that logic then you’re betting your entire range on an A coming on the turn? I can just abuse you by raising all A turns as you will have far too many marginal hands to call down. Moreover, you should have some Ax in your check calling turn range... chances are your double barrral frequency is far too high and you’re burning $ IMO

I disagree, V is on the button and will have a fair amount of diamond combos in his calling range pre, and we’ve played 1 hand with this guy so it’s hard to say what his range is (as is does he call a raise with 67o)

Yes, I do have Ax in my check calling range on flop, turn, and river. But not after leading because that would be weird.

What type of Ax would I bet the flop with no A and check the turn when A hits?
    edited April 2018
    I’d be bluffing flop when it’s heads up with a lot of my Ax, so my MP1 range would be something like A5s, A9s+ AJo+, and checking turn a good amount after hitting. We now have show down value and value from worse is quickly running out
  • Jesse_The_SuitJesse_The_Suit Posts: 493Subscriber, Professional
    I think you are leveling yourself a bit (or a lot).

At live 1/3, 95 percent of players have no idea what cards are better for the PFR v the caller. So though you might be right that the A of diamonds is better for your range than his, that’s irrelevant because you are the only person in the hand who knows that. Essentially no one at these stakes is going to see you check turn and decide to abuse you by aggressing you on the river because the they think you are capped at second pair. They won’t do this because they aren’t skilled enough to know how and also because against a lot lot villains it it would be a bad play anyway. A fair number of guys at 1/3 would go into s check call shell with black AK (so they aren’t capped) or would call down with
    Kx because it was top pair.

So check the A of dimonds (worst possible card for you, because it either gives V a better hand or scares away his stright draws). So check told turn. River checks through you can bet small hoping to get looked up by Kx.

Thinking about ranges is an important part of being a good player, but at live low stakes people just play their hands, they don’t know their own range, let alone yours.
    Thanked by 2CycleV sivaddivad