Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Players with big stacks

Hi guys,

I've been playing at my local casino a lot.

I play 1/3 $500 max bet with $300 max buy in.

I see 2-3 people in my players pool who always have $1,000+ in front of them (333 BBs)

I watch them play and they pretty much call a lot of hands and over bet the pot when betting.

Has anyone here try to play Loose Passive, over bet pot, and somehow get called?

Is it because my players pool are bad?
Tagged:

Comments

  • GlennJonesGlennJones Posts: 176Subscriber
    Watch those players and what they show down to determine if they got their stacks because they are good or they are lucky. If the latter, forumate a plan on attacking them. They are your best source of profit.
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    You should also watch for:

    1. Is it that they always do this, or just vs specific opponents?
    2. Do they top up a lot?
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
    GlennJones wrote: »
    Watch those players and what they show down to determine if they got their stacks because they are good or they are lucky. If the latter, forumate a plan on attacking them. They are your best source of profit.
    GlennJones wrote: »
    Watch those players and what they show down to determine if they got their stacks because they are good or they are lucky. If the latter, forumate a plan on attacking them. They are your best source of profit.

    Actually they're kinda both lucky and good at the same time.

    They're very, very sticky. They play most pots to the end.

    I try to play tight because they're tough to bluff. They usually folds on the turn against me.

    But when they hit their gutshots, or runner2 trips, people usually pay off big, including me.

    I think they're really good counting pot and implied odds. And also they're tough because they continue with about 70% of their hands on each street. People just can't steal pots from them. Their bets however, make people fold.
    CycleV wrote: »
    You should also watch for:

    1. Is it that they always do this, or just vs specific opponents?
    2. Do they top up a lot?

    1. They definitely always do this against everyone. They usually fold on the turn against me because I would never bluff them
    2. Good players top up a lot, but in our game we're only allowed to buy in for $300 max. If you have $200 in front, you cannot rebuy more than $100.

    So these guys are definitely winning players because I see them quite often at the casino.

    Also, one thing I notice, they're so lucky in terms of big hands vs big hands.

    Like flush over flush over flush in a huge 3 handed pot
    or straight over flush

    trips over fullhouse

    Is it because they're just running hot or they're actually really, really good? I tried to punish their opening range by raising bigger preflop. But like I said, I think my leak against them is paying them off when they hit their cards.
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    edited April 2018
    Well there's a couple of relatively easy adjustments I see. If they fold without strong hands "cuz you would never bluff them," BLUFF THEM. And unless you have to, never show a bluff. I have a pretty nitty, winning image in a small player pool, and I see no need to let people know how much I semibluff raise.

    If they only put money in the middle with a very strong range, fold more.

    BTW my usual game is 1/3 400 cap. I go to the cashier and get $500, keep 4 quarters in my pocket so that I am always topped up. And if I spend those, I buy more at the table. I am always topping up, and unless someone is paying close attention, they have no idea how much I'm in for. Both big losers AND big winners keep the chip runners busy. (I got this from Tommy Angelo.) I recently had a session where I cashed out for about 850, bump into a reg at the cashier and he says nice work...I was into the game for 1300.
    Thanked by 1poseidon
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
    edited April 2018
    CycleV wrote: »
    BTW my usual game is 1/3 400 cap. I go to the cashier and get $500, keep 4 quarters in my pocket so that I am always topped up. And if I spend those, I buy more at the table. I am always topping up, and unless someone is paying close attention, they have no idea how much I'm in for. Both big losers AND big winners keep the chip runners busy. (I got this from Tommy Angelo.) I recently had a session where I cashed out for about 850, bump into a reg at the cashier and he says nice work...I was into the game for 1300.

    Very nice! It's so funny because I saw this happened at my table last night! A regular 5/5 PLO player had like 5 black chips in his pocket (worth $500), on top of what he's playing at the table. He just did what you said! Top up with chips from pocket is invisible to most players at the table. But I did pay attention and saw he grabbed his black chips from his pocket.
  • GlennJonesGlennJones Posts: 176Subscriber
    edited April 2018
    poseidon wrote: »
    Also, one thing I notice, they're so lucky in terms of big hands vs big hands.

    Like flush over flush over flush in a huge 3 handed pot
    or straight over flush

    trips over fullhouse

    Are they really lucky? When I see this type of stuff going on, it's more an indication that these guys are competent. They are aware of their opponents' opening ranges and know when to release against aggression. On the flipside, they know their opponents' inability to fold near nut hands, so they will push to action when they range their opponent on a near nut hand while holding the nuts (Bart did a podcast on this sometime back).

    Watch them closely and try to understand when they fold. For example, you say they fold the turn against you. If so, then what is their calling range against you on the turn? And if they *are* truly not bluffing rivers, then they only have made hands when they make big river bets. You should be bet/folding more. Take you time and think through the hand before making the call. Look at the hand I posted today from last night. How would you react?
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
    edited April 2018
    GlennJones wrote: »
    poseidon wrote: »
    Also, one thing I notice, they're so lucky in terms of big hands vs big hands.

    Like flush over flush over flush in a huge 3 handed pot
    or straight over flush

    trips over fullhouse

    Are they really lucky? When I see this type of stuff going on, it's more an indication that these guys are competent.

    I see what you're saying....yes, if they consistently did this, then it meant they're very capable V's with very good hand reading ability skill.

    But.... it's been 5 days since I wrote the original post.

    I have been playing several sessions with them. And they don't really know what they're doing.

    I asked if they did any study off table, and they thought it was a study group. LOL

    They didn't know what a solver was...

    I don't think they know CLP.

    They're sticky because they're gambling fish and just happened to hit their cards.

    I hadn't seen a flush for 3 weeks before I stacked off a guy with nut flush over k flush in a big pot (2 sessions ago).

    I'm happy I found this community. The help that I get from this forum has definitely made me a better player.

    Thanks guys!
  • CycleVCycleV Posts: 1,196Subscriber
    As you get more confident, you'll know to 99% never ask these kinds of questions at a table. Don't mention HUDs, any of that stuff. Eventually you'll suss out the couple of dudes who might actually study, but even then, there's not much need to ever engage this type of conversation, esp not in front of everyone else.
  • poseidonposeidon Posts: 88Subscriber
    CycleV wrote: »
    As you get more confident, you'll know to 99% never ask these kinds of questions at a table. Don't mention HUDs, any of that stuff. Eventually you'll suss out the couple of dudes who might actually study, but even then, there's not much need to ever engage this type of conversation, esp not in front of everyone else.

    Yes, I wouldn't ask this on the table. I asked them outside when they're taking a break.
Sign In or Register to comment.