Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Ace High in a 3-bet Pot

f0xrf0xr Posts: 64Subscriber
edited November 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
2/5 1k cap

Main villain on the btn has $600, I have $1100, and SB covers.

This hand is very villain specific, so I certainly realize that against unknown or more standard players, I should play this very different.

Both villains are bad losing rec players who play way too many hands.

Main villain especially plays lots of suited and connected type hands. He is capable of postflop aggression, but usually in bad spots or just spazzing out randomly. He is very sticky with draws. Doesn't really float to set up a bluff, but will usually drive draws or bluff when they miss.

SB villain is just super loose preflop, seeing about 80% of flops. Will do things like limp EP and call a 3-bet with hands like 85o. He is not aggressive postflop though, and hardly ever makes a move if he misses. He will call down super light with any pair quite often, but will also sometimes just open-muck the flop in a heads-up pot if he misses.

I have a fairly neutral image, with both villains viewing me as a tight player who usually doesn't get out of line.

OTTH

UTG limps, villain opens to $25 otb, SB calls, I'm in the BB with A Q . I decide to 3-bet to $90 for value. Usually would size this bigger, but in this case I want these players to call since they are both going to call so wide and make big mistakes postflop, and won't be too likely to put me in any tough spots. I also feel that I can take it down a lot on the flop if they miss.

Limper folds and now villain goes into the tank. I've seen him do this often before, and he always shows up with some speculative hand that he shouldn't have called with. It's like he knows he shouldn't call, but he just can't bring himself to fold a suited or connected hand in case it hits the flop. I have been sitting beside him before on the rare occasion that he did fold a garbage hand and saw him get very upset when it would have connected. He finally reluctantly calls, and SB also calls of course.

Flop ($275) K 5 :s: 4 :s: SB checks. Normally I would probably give up on this flop, but in this case I decide to c-bet because these players have such wide ranges, this board hits my range so much, and I think they have a lot of missed hands that will just give up but they can both be calling with lots of draws that I'm ahead of. Basically they are wide enough that I can treat this like a single raised pot, but with my image they don't expect me to be messing around too much if I bet. I decide to bet $150. Normally would probably size smaller in a 3-bet pot, but in this case I want to put maximum pressure on something like a small pair that they might want to call with.

I bet, villain otb snap-calls. SB folds. I know what I think his range is when he snap-calls, but I'm wondering what you think he has.

Turn ($575) K Villain now has $360 behind. What do you think about this turn card, and how should we play this?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• fozbofozbo Posts: 144Subscriber
    edited November 2017
    I mean if he's that wide he can have anything right? All the 67s, all the spade combos, suited Kx, pocket 7s? Some random gutter? if all these hands are in his range, and he's never folding any of them BUT will fire on missed draws, I'm checking turn and evaluating. As to what I think he has when he has when he snaps, based on description..... Probably 2 spades
  • maphacksmaphacks Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    edited November 2017
    against THIS opponent it's a shove. too many draws out. once in a while he might fold 4x or whatever
  • f0xrf0xr Posts: 64Subscriber
    I made a mistake on the turn that caused things to get a little weird. I thought he had $300 behind. I decided to bet and leave him $40 behind. FPS I know, but I just wanted to make it seem a little less like a bluff if he somehow has JJ or some hero-call pair hand. I expect him to almost always have a draw with no SDV when he snap calls. In that case it's irrelevant, he calls the turn and if he misses he has to fold the river, and I'm ahead anyway so it doesn't matter.

So I bet $260, and he doesn't think too long and moves all-in. He had another stack of chips I couldn't see, so it was $100 more for me to call. At this point I'm expecting he must have Kx of spades, or some other value hand somehow. Doesn't make any sense for him to move in with a draw, since it's obvious I'm not planning to fold. At this point I really expected to be beat 100% of the time, but since I play with this villain so much, I thought it might be worth $100 just to see what hand he plays like this. And he's a live poker fish, so who knows.
    I decide to call, just to see his hand. River is 6
    . Villain shakes his head and disgust and says he missed everything. Throws out 6 :s: 8 :s: , obviously knowing he's beat.

My AQ goes in the muck. Villain is shocked, and the guy beside me asks why I called off on the turn when I got caught bluffing. Villain says he had no choice but to move in, he had the straight flush draw. Lol live poker.
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
    maphacks wrote: »
    against THIS opponent it's a shove. too many draws out. once in a while he might fold 4x or whatever

This. He's never folding any draws, and you don't want him to give up on the river when he misses.