Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$2/$5 Continue to Barrel?

7 Handed. I have a neutral image. Half the table isn't paying attention. I've been card dead and not getting anything to even get involved for anyone to notice I'm even at the table.

I open UTG 1 K :s: 10 :s: $20. Button calls (400eff, very wide but passive), SB calls and is L/P as well. BB fold. 3 ways.

Flop (65) 6 9 6

I cbet 40. BTN call and BB fold.

Turn (145) Q backdoor hearts now.

Do we continue bluffing now that we have a gutshot and can use an over card? Villain has $340 left.

It seems trivial but when I'm on a downswing I want to make sure I'm not leaking money in some of the smaller spots. Thanks in advance!
Tagged:

Comments

• k1fighter69k1fighter69 Posts: 4Subscriber
    I would fire out one more and shut down if he calls. Q hits your range rather than his. The fact that you have picked up equity is a plus as well.
  • sivaddivadsivaddivad Posts: 341Subscriber
    As played, I would bet on the larger side on the turn if we decide to barrel.. putting 9s and smaller pairs in a tough spot--something like 100-120 sounds right. I don't think you have to bet though. If you check and it gets checked through, you can bluff the river on a lot of cards.

On the flop I would typically check this hand and see what the action is by the button / on the turn by the SB. I would rather pick this board to cbet if there was a spade, as that gives me way better double barrel prospects... but cbetting can't be horrible.
    Thanked by 1mythomaniac
  • ohsnapzbrahohsnapzbrah Posts: 632Subscriber
    If we cbet this flop - which seems standard - then we have to double barrel this turn. We're betting flop and knowing that hands such as 9x, 88, 77, even 55 and A hi will call. But we also have a few turn cards that give us additional equity, which is why we bet the flop. T-K give us at least a gutshot with an overcard, along with an overcard to the flop top pair.

I'd bet like 90 or 95. The larger we go here, the fewer chips V has when the river comes. Going to like 110, V will have 230 left into a pot of 365. Going to 90, V has 250 left in a pot of 325. But when we bet here, we have to barrel the river if called. At this point, 6x, Q9, could easily raise the turn.
  • mythomaniacmythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber

I'd bet like 90 or 95. The larger we go here, the fewer chips V has when the river comes. Going to like 110, V will have 230 left into a pot of 365. Going to 90, V has 250 left in a pot of 325. But when we bet here, we have to barrel the river if called. At this point, 6x, Q9, could easily raise the turn.

I agree generally, this is going to have to be at least a double barrel if we bet the flop. I did. I went with 75 because I wanted to use the smallest bet I could to get the job done against a weak range which I think is going to give up most anything that isn't A9, Q9, AQ, KQ.

Against loose passive players, I'm not crazy about shoving river because they are more likely to be emotionally committed.
  • AJoffAJoff Posts: 546Subscriber
    I like 78, JT, and heart draws better
  • sivaddivadsivaddivad Posts: 341Subscriber
    edited November 2017
    If we cbet this flop - which seems standard - then we have to double barrel this turn. We're betting flop and knowing that hands such as 9x, 88, 77, even 55 and A hi will call. But we also have a few turn cards that give us additional equity, which is why we bet the flop. T-K give us at least a gutshot with an overcard, along with an overcard to the flop top pair.

You thinking that a small turn bet then a shove would be more profitable then a big turn bet and then shutting down river if called? Has this worked well? Interested cause I rarely fire 3rd barrel.
  • mythomaniacmythomaniac Posts: 284Subscriber

sivaddivad wrote: »

You thinking that a small turn bet then a shove would be more profitable then a big turn bet and then shutting down river if called? Has this worked well? Interested cause I rarely fire 3rd barrel.

Against loose random villains, I seldom fire three barrels, mostly because I don't think they will fold. I think the turn sizing is something we can play with on certain boards because they will fold out the A high and smaller pairs. I've certainly had more success firing a bigger turn barrel in general, however, with a paired flop I think people are more willing to fold with smaller sizing.

I think the heart of the question was do we fire again? It seems like I found my answer: If you fire flop and pick up a card you are willing to fire again on turn....we are emptying the clip.

Another line could have bee to check, see what the BTN did and SB does on turn if it gets checked through.

On this board, since I chose to cbet flop and bet turn, I could have applied more pressure by betting more. The more I think about it as played, I think I like cbet flop and giving up on non turns.