Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Monotone board, flopped nut straight, butchered?

Jesse_The_SuitJesse_The_Suit Posts: 493Subscriber, Professional
2/5, 1000 effective. Villain is older, very aggressive, recreation player.

A person who isn't going to be the villain in this hand opens from early postion to 20 four people call, including villain, and it gets to me on the button and I call with a black, offsuit QJ flop comes out T98, all diamonds. Checks around to villain who leads out for almost pot (75). I feel like I am just forced to call her with the nut straight because of hiw scary the board is, but that might have been a mistake.

The turn is an off-suit ace, and he bets 130 into about 230. Again, sort of just feel like I am forced to call, as if just hard to see how I get called by worse.

River pairs the nine and get bets our 250. I make a sound like I got punched. It's very hard to see how I am good here, but the pot is like 740, 250 to call. I realize I essentially just have a bluff catcher, but I wonder if he takes this like with the ace of times, etc. I called. Thoughts? I think I played the river the worst, but I am interested in hearing about how I screwed up earlier streets as well.
Tagged:

Comments

• neverlearn2neverlearn2 Posts: 2,862Subscriber
    If he's Aggro I'm raising turn a lot. We beat a few hands still namely the Adx hands.

This is a hard spot and going to be very villain dependent but if he is as Aggro as you say he is then we can go either way but i think if your image is tight then I'm folding but idk.

• MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    Pretty easy call against an over-aggressive reg IYAM. He could have something like J9/Q9/97s (19), he could be going thin value w/ AJ (8), or be turning something like 77 into a bluff (6). We lose to 98/T9/A9/88 (21). Even if we range him 9x & FH exclusively, think still a call.
  • Rmikey17Rmikey17 Posts: 25Subscriber, Professional
    Easy call on the river, and I don't really like a turn raise. You don't have a diamond in your hand, you're in position, and if you raise and get jammed on it's going to be a gross spot.
  • FuzzypupFuzzypup Posts: 2,581Subscriber
    On the surface it is an easy call.

But he bet into EVERYONE. So what else is he betting this large on the flop and turn then betting but bot shoving when the board pairs. He doesn't have the NF or a boat/quads. But this is villain dependent. If this player was a loose passive I just might give up.
  • Jesse_The_SuitJesse_The_Suit Posts: 493Subscriber, Professional
    In retrospect, I don't feel awful about the play. The reveal, I think, sheds some light of the villain type involved. He table A9 offsuit, with no diamond, for middle pair top kicker that made a runner, runner full house. Not a hand I would have thought he would have in a million years. So, let's just say he is very agro and very recreational.
    I think the turn bet sizing is key here from villain.
  • Jesse_The_SuitJesse_The_Suit Posts: 493Subscriber, Professional
    As demonstrating that he has two-pair? That is interesting, I mean, its sort of inline with his original bet sizing on the flop. I usually know that when an older guy blasts the flop/turn it is very two-pair heavy. But it was hard to see him as having turned aces-up, given the flop action.
    Not really 2 pairs. IM noot saying this is right and I could just be seeing something for confrimation. but basically to me his turn bet was really polarizing in repping a made nut flush IMO. but when river card changes nuts and he still makes same bet, im leaning more towards his vulnerable hands that made a hand on river cause we are repping a strong hand as well. We got straights, sets and flushes as much as he does.

Think the way we played, villain has to be afraid of FH. If he had flush and he was betting like he had the NF postflop, smaller sized bets into multiple people on a flop that hits all of our perceived ranges, i would assume he would slow down on a paired board.