Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Hand of the night!

ChipChairmanChipChairman Posts: 41Subscriber
Sent this hand into Bart, and, it didn't make it into the show... So thought I would post it here for some comments. I will edit out the results and action...

I was playing well and making pretty good reads, playing pretty tight aggressive (table prob views me as somewhat “nitty” because I am playing half the amount of hands as everyone else). Table was pretty loose passive for the most part.

Villain in this hand is a pretty big aggro fish ($380). I moved my seat to get position on two regulars who are loose aggressive “gamblers” (Think like Neil from LATB) and this guy sat down to my left. I had a very good image and I was up $475 ($675) in a 1/2 game. Table was still good as I had position on the two known bad players.

I am dealt AcKd in the SB and CO raises to $8 with $47 more behind. I flat and villain calls.
Flop comes As Tc 5s ($24)

I lead $19, BB flats and Button goes all in for $47 total.

Analysis:
Preflop: I flat the CO raise preflop as he is short and I want to keep his whole range in. He is one of the loose aggro players I moved for but he has lost some hands and is very short stacked. He was bragging about getting stacked for $300 in “15 minutes” at another table. My hand will be well disguised and if an A or K flops I can get his whole stack easily as he will prob rep something anyway. If I miss I can check fold for $8. BB calls to my left and we see the flop 3 handed.

Flop: I lead thinking one of these guys has an Ace and I want to start building a pot. I thought about check raising, but, I thought if I lead it might look weaker and I might get shoved over by button with any ace. I lead 19 into $24. And BB calls. I put him on a flush draw or an ace. He has been pretty agro and I thought he might raise me with anything “big”. CO shoves for $47 total

Comments so far?

Comments

• ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    Its fun working at home... because I get to take breaks and post on seatopenpoker more than anyone else...he he he..

Give the original raiser is so short I am not flatting here pre.. but wan't to reraise to get his whole stack in now. If he is really as loose as you say he won't resist the opportunity to get it in and you will be way ahead of his range. Waiting until the flop is bad because now you don't know where you are as much AND you let another play in. With AK oop I like to isolate if possible AND especially against a loose bad player..

Then you lead the flop.. yuk.. this looks so much like an ace I think loose player may actually fold.. Yes your lead looks like a weak ace but its still top pair and if loosey goosey has say 56 is he going to go with it? if you flat you have to let them take a stab at repping your hand. He is so short you don't have to worry about losing streets of value. Checking once you still should get it in on the turn or river..

Against shorter stacks I play tighter and more aggressive..

Wendy
  • SkinnybrownSkinnybrown Posts: 286Member
    You HAVE to re-raise pre flop in this situation. Why are you not building a pot with the probable best hand?
  • ChipChairmanChipChairman Posts: 41Subscriber
    Yeah, I like to mix up my play with AKo sometimes. As for the loose player who raises, I am fairly certain he is not just getting it in with Ax here; might get in AQ but it is such a small portion of his range. Since he is in late position, I don't mind a flat here to keep all his aces in the hand. no? Bad idea?
  • EselspielEselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    wendyweissman said

Give the original raiser is so short I am not flatting here pre.. but wan't to reraise to get his whole stack in now. Wendy
    +1
  • I agree. What are you going to do if you miss the flop? When you are dealing with someone who is >30BB deep its usually always a reraise or fold.

Bart
  • Travisp33Travisp33 Posts: 15Member
    Why on earth are we so concerned about getting into a 45% equity spot for 27bb , when we have a chance to play 200bb deep with the bb, whom we consider a"pretty big fish", and we are holding ak? I mean yea put a good player in the bb, and it is a raise all day, but isn't this why we play poker? I contend the co is irrelivent at worst and actually helps us build a pot In spots like this. I don't think I am ever giving the bb a chance to fold. I will happily pay 3.5bb to c/f some flops when it goes heads up with the co and we miss, but wouldn't having the bb ever fold Ax or Kx pre here would be epically tragic?
    Travisp33 said

Why on earth are we so concerned about getting into a 45% equity spot for 27bb , when we have a chance to play 200bb deep with the bb, whom we consider a"pretty big fish", and we are holding ak? I mean yea put a good player in the bb, and it is a raise all day, but isn't this why we play poker? I contend the co is irrelivent at worst and actually helps us build a pot In spots like this. I don't think I am ever giving the bb a chance to fold. I will happily pay 3.5bb to c/f some flops when it goes heads up with the co and we miss, but wouldn't having the bb ever fold Ax or Kx pre here would be epically tragic?
    I think there are some reverse implied odds with just slowplaying AK oop with the third player. Yes he is a fish, but you still have to play oop against both players. Let say you flat bb has say KT and ss we don't care. Then flop comes

QJx

Are you saying you will reverse float if the other two players get it all in? Then BB shows KT and ss had T9 or something? This is a worst case scenario but you will not be able to take much heat even with an under repped hand against the BB.. Also if the BB player is really a fish he might call your raise and you get more money in the pot with hand range way ahead of him too...

I tend to take the line that IN pos I will take more risks.. not OOP. Also if there is a decent chance that SS will get it in I am so way ahead of his range that getting 30 bb freebie I think is better than taking the risk for 100bb oop..

Have a few of those a night and you will be a consistent winner..my humble opinion

Wendy
  • ChipChairmanChipChairman Posts: 41Subscriber
    Thanks for the feedback so far!

on the flop, I decided to isolate the SS. I raised to 100 total knowing I am crushing his range. BB calls quickly behind. $106 sidepot.

Turn is a 6.

Hero?
    ChipChairman said

on the flop, I decided to isolate the SS. I raised to 100 total knowing I am crushing his range. BB calls quickly behind. $106 sidepot.

Turn is a 6.

Hero?
    OS or 6s? That makes a pretty big difference.. Given the guy called quickly I put him more on a draw then a made hand since he probably would stop to think about it for a second. If its the os 6 I will go ahead and bet rather large to charge him for his draw. .. Probably around $175... if I get raised and raised big.. I am almost 100% folding. The fact he didnt raise on wet board and now he does.. probably means he was waiting for a safe card for his big hand..

This is exactly the situation I was talking about that I hate. I have an under repped hand but since its under repped other players.. bad players.. may now be over playing their hands thinking they are good and I have lost control of the hand..

If you are both still rather deep and you have seen this player check the river alot with say one pair hands then I might.. just might call a raise on the turn to get to showdown on the river.. But neither you or him can be that close to pot committed for this to happen.. If either of your spr is close to 1 then its too likely that he will stick it in with either a value hand, bluff or an overplayed value hand..

Wendy
  • Travisp33Travisp33 Posts: 15Member
    ChipChairman said

Turn is a 6.
    Hero?
    Not sure you are ever goin to successfully isolate with a min-raise?

In your first post you described villain as a big agro fish. Why?
  • EselspielEselspiel Posts: 115Subscriber
    ChipChairman said

Turn is a 6.

Hero?
    Raise bigger. Raising to $100 even I calculate the main pot is $24 + 3x$47 = $165 and you opened a side pot to $53. Now the BB has to call $53 to win almost $220. He's getting over 4 to 1. He can call correctly with and FD or SD, if you'll call a $50 bet on the river.

You really didn't isolate, you priced him in and still have not really been able to narrow down his range.