Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

$3/$5 NLHE AK on AKJ

First time poster here. $3/$5 NLHE, $500 max buy

Hero: Middle aged white conservative looking female, image pretty competent/value tendency/bluffs are small only/daytime reg.

eff: $700 ish
Villian: 21-ish yo unknown: Thinking social backpack kid, chatty, bought in full $500, merged 3-bet range in position once (99), haven't seen light 3-bet, one of two players 3 betting at table

Hero opens AKdd to 20 UTG, V 3-bets to 65, hero flats. (Reason: 4-bet UTG from a woman too strong(?))
Flop: AhKhJd
Hero checks, V bets $65, Hero c/r to $225, hero calls.
Turn 2d, hero shoves 410 into 585, has freeroll if chopping
V talks... "show me if I fold?, show me one if I fold? Do you have me beat?" and folds AKss after I say I never show

Questions:

Flatting 3-bet preflop oop ok knowing a 4-bet pre is very strong from UTG into a young kid's merged range?

Check raising flop AhKhJd ok on this board? I didn't like donking or c/c but...

Flop Sizing ok? How do I figure out the best c/r sizing here if I'm thinking forward to turn?

Thoughts during hand: Beat by AA, KK JJ, Q 10 suited (questionable in range), slightly ahead of JQhh, J10hh (not sure if in merge range). I don't want QQ and 10 10 to fold.

Turn: 2d

Shoving turn with awkward stack sizes ok? 410 is a pretty big absolute bet in our game, esp from an older unknown woman. Do I want a smaller bet for freeroll possibility but risking a chop? Do I want to bet him off a chop when I'm freerolling with flush?

Thanks for any help. With this high coordinated board, an unknown with a merged range, a freeroll, an awkward stack size, and being oop I had so many questions on how to play this hand better.

First time poster, be gentle. :)

Comments

• MonadPrimeMonadPrime Posts: 803Member
    What do you think villain will stack off with against your flop x/r?
  • TybaldTybald Posts: 8Subscriber
    MonadPrime wrote: »
    What do you think villain will stack off with against your flop x/r?

Same hand, huge draws, hands that beat me. AK, QJhh, J10hh, AA, KK, JJ. I might be folding out KJ and AJ here with x/r but I thought it was pretty small. Flop overplay?
  • AJoffAJoff Posts: 546Subscriber
    I would call flop. If you raise you have pretty much no calling range. What position is the villain (it matters for preflop decision)?
  • KelbyMarvinKelbyMarvin Posts: 235Subscriber
    edited April 2017
    If you're flatting flop for deception I'd say you probably shouldn't be C/R this board. Your range is vastly narrowed and represent huge strength when you c/r him on the flop with him being the PF 3 bettor. I'd call here and keep ranges wide. We block lots of hands we might actually get full value from.
  • OMGitsWormOMGitsWorm Posts: 272Subscriber, Professional
    I'm very aggressive on the table and will 3 bet lots. Something I have learnt against some older players is when they 4bet me unless I have AA lol I'm behind most of the time. So it comes down to how comfortable you are playing oop with this V. If you don't want to play AK a 4bet is a good option as he should fold all the same hands and weaker hands because if he is a compentent he would know it's not that profitable to continue. Also a 4b Pre, for the rest of the session will help define his 3b range against you.

I think calling Pre like you have is fine.
    I also think c/r flop is fine. You probably don't have many if any bluffs when you c/r flop and I don't think your opening Q10s so it's sets or 2 pairs. 3 combos of sets and I think 6 combos of AK. But I think you need to be protecting the equity in your hand on this flop for the simple reason I he is 3 bet hands like QJs, J10s you don't want them to get there cheaply. Your in front most of the time and have back door equity if a good ♦️ peals.

Over all you played it well, got value from the same hand and then got the same hand to fold. I don't think you would get much more from a hand like AJ if you didn't c/r.

I also like the betsizing of V and I wonder if they could be a sizing tell if you play him again.
  • gregnsgregns Posts: 28Subscriber
    Odd hand to comment on because you got the best possible result, and yet I would never have played the flop so aggressively. I just don't know what he calls your flop c/r with that you beat. This seems like a good example of getting all worse hands to fold.
    AJoff wrote: »
    I would call flop. If you raise you have pretty much no calling range. What position is the villain (it matters for preflop decision)?

Thanks, I think I should have called flop. V is on button. I'm utg.
    KSM wrote: »
    If you're flatting flop for deception I'd say you probably shouldn't be C/R this board. Your range is vastly narrowed and represent huge strength when you c/r him on the flop with him being the PF 3 bettor. I'd call here and keep ranges wide. We block lots of hands we might actually get full value from.
    Thank you. Great point. I thought my c/r might have been an issue.

OMGitsWorm wrote: »
    I'm very aggressive on the table and will 3 bet lots. Something I have learnt against some older players is when they 4bet me unless I have AA lol I'm behind most of the time. So it comes down to how comfortable you are playing oop with this V. If you don't want to play AK a 4bet is a good option as he should fold all the same hands and weaker hands because if he is a compentent he would know it's not that profitable to continue. Also a 4b Pre, for the rest of the session will help define his 3b range against you.

I think calling Pre like you have is fine.
    I also think c/r flop is fine. You probably don't have many if any bluffs when you c/r flop and I don't think your opening Q10s so it's sets or 2 pairs. 3 combos of sets and I think 6 combos of AK. But I think you need to be protecting the equity in your hand on this flop for the simple reason I he is 3 bet hands like QJs, J10s you don't want them to get there cheaply. Your in front most of the time and have back door equity if a good ♦️ peals.

Over all you played it well, got value from the same hand and then got the same hand to fold. I don't think you would get much more from a hand like AJ if you didn't c/r.

I also like the betsizing of V and I wonder if they could be a sizing tell if you play him again.

Thanks for saying a 4 bet from an older player is never light. That's why I flatted. I've only 4 bet light once in my 14 years (embarrassing but true).

gregns wrote: »
    Odd hand to comment on because you got the best possible result, and yet I would never have played the flop so aggressively. I just don't know what he calls your flop c/r with that you beat. This seems like a good example of getting all worse hands to fold.

In retrospect with all these comments I agree-- played flop too aggressively. Had I c/c flop I would have c/r turn anyway with my free roll and stack size remaining. Thanks!