Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Poker Video No. 284: Turning Marginal Hands into Bluffs

CLP_CraigCLP_Craig Posts: 776Administrator
edited February 2017 in Crush Live Poker Videos
This month, Tuck finds opportunities to turn marginal hands into bluffs and looks into whether or not you should follow through.

Episode posts at 11 AM PST.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/videos/turning-marginal-hands-into-bluffs
Tagged:

Comments

• rung00d6rung00d6 Posts: 43Subscriber
    Greg FBT Mueller in seat 1 ;)

Great video Tuck - love your videos. Your delivery of the material makes it easy to understand and follow.
    Thanked by 1DavidTuchman
  • rung00d6rung00d6 Posts: 43Subscriber
    edited February 2017
    Hey Dave, in the first hand you mention repping the A to get our opponent to fold a Q. I play 1/2 primarily and find it hard to imagine our opponents folding queens full there, regardless of what my hand looks like once I bet the river. In a game where my opponents are mostly level 1 thinkers looking at absolute hand strengths (not relative hand strengths), should I be turning my medium strength hand into a bluff? Does your thinking differ at lower stakes like 1/2?
  • AmurAmur Posts: 17Subscriber
    Thanks a lot Tuck ! I love it, I want to see more videos on bluffing, it such a great subject! We miss so much opportunities ,please make more videos on bluffing!
    Thanked by 1DavidTuchman
  • DavidTuchmanDavidTuchman Posts: 791Pro
    Hey Dave, in the first hand you mention repping the A to get our opponent to fold a Q. I play 1/2 primarily and find it hard to imagine our opponents folding queens full there, regardless of what my hand looks like once I bet the river. In a game where my opponents are mostly level 1 thinkers looking at absolute hand strengths (not relative hand strengths), should I be turning my medium strength hand into a bluff? Does your thinking differ at lower stakes like 1/2?

first off, Thanks! appreciate the kind words,

the first part of my video was identifying opportunities to turn your marginal hands into bluffs. The 2nd part is figuring out whether you should be following through. I don't think it's a 'Stakes Specific' decision. I think it's a villain specific decision. Will they fold? What do they think about you? Do they think you're bluffy? Can they fold marginal hands? Can they fold relatively strong hands?

Hope that helps...
    Thanked by 1rung00d6
  • MasonIsAClownMasonIsAClown Posts: 102Subscriber, Professional
    I think that villain in hand 1 is probably too spazzy based on the other hand he plays in this video to know that he'll fold a queen. It's also one of those boards where we are so polarized and have no hands we could've been Slowplaying. People don't fold boats on trip boards for a reason; like in this spot they obviously know it's specifically an ace or it's never a hand that beats them.

That's why I don't love bluffing those boards, they will invent hands that don't actually make sense on a lot of boards that allow them to justify folding, but when it's either we hit the ace or have a bluff they will tend to get more stubborn. I would like it better specifically against OMC and only OMC.
    @masonISAClown Thanks for your comment. I can see your point. A bluff may or may not work. Obviously, we'll never know, but I disagree with you. I think it's a really good spot. When Kyle checks back the turn, his hand just doesn't look like a bluff IMO. I feel like his hand looks a lot like an Ace/x

you suggest he's repping a narrow range? ...but he raised in late position, he's got a ton of Aces...A9o+ and probably A2s-A8s

I'll ask you this...what bluffs does he have? for the villain to call, he has to think the hero is good enough/spewy enough to Rep an ace on the river.

I do think you have to size your bet accordingly to put pressure on a Queen. End of the day, if our opponents aren't folding Q's here, that's brilliant. We can exploit that later.

• deadinaditchdeadinaditch Posts: 245Subscriber
    edited February 2017
    I know I may look a bit results oriented but I don't think Casey's play with 55 vs. Kyle on the
    J 3 A 7 9 was all that bad. Of course Casey knows his hand won't hold up but he also knows Kyle raises light and will CBet virtually his entire range. Why not check/call the Flop and see what happens? If he bets the Turn, Casey is done, but when Kyle checks it back he looks weak and it's pretty clear he doesn't have an Ace. On the flip side Casey's line looks a lot like a weak Ace or some Turned or Rivered 2 pair. IMO if Casey is going to float the Flop, he absolutely must bet the River as played.
    I know I may look a bit results oriented but I don't think Casey's play with 55 vs. Kyle on the
    J 3 A 7 9 was all that bad. Of course Casey knows his hand won't hold up but he also knows Kyle raises light and will CBet virtually his entire range. Why not check/call the Flop and see what happens? If he bets the Turn, Casey is done, but when Kyle checks it back he looks weak and it's pretty clear he doesn't have an Ace. On the flip side Casey's line looks a lot like a weak Ace or some Turned or Rivered 2 pair. IMO if Casey is going to float the Flop, he absolutely must bet the River as played.

The issue with that is that Kyle is probably going to cbet and check turn all his one pair hands. Think about how he plays each hand he could theoretically have.

He raises a reasonably wide range, but not crazy with so many limpers. If he flops a draw, he continues firing.

If he misses completely, he might be one and done, but in those cases, 5s are good. No need to bluff

If he has a jack or an ace, he could very easily bet and then check back on a monotone board. I don't think he's folding an ace or a jack to one bet on the river.

So what hand is Casey getting to fold? 66-TT? Maybe???

Now, I agree that IF you floated from out of position with one shitty pair (without a diamond) you need to win the pot without making the best hand occasionally, I just think it's a pretty ambitious (bad) play. Your hand can't really improve. Even if you are ahead, you won't know it. You're out of position. You can be easily outplayed or bluffed. And to top all of that off, even when your opponent checks his one pair hand back on the turn, there's no guarantee he'll fold when we bet the river.

Just fold the 5s and pick a better spot.