Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Call the river with set of AA's?

rinkers2003rinkers2003 Posts: 85Member
edited January 2017 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
3/5 NL $300-$1,000 buy in
H: mid 20's, great image sits with around $2100
V: Old guy, probably in his 70s but plays alright. I've played with him twice before and he made some really odd plays and some random great plays too. He has about $1,000
V2: random asian guy not relevant to hand.

V limp in mp, H makes it $25 on the button with A :s: A V2 calls in BB and V calls.
Flop ($75) 7 3 2 Both V check, H bets $50. V2 folds, V calls in about 5 seconds
Turn ($175) Q V Checks, H bets $90. V quickly makes it $200.
With everything we learn on the site this is usually a classic bet-fold situation but looking at the board there are basically no 2 pair combos and it is a small raise. I decide to call and evaluate the river.

River ($575) A V quickly bets $250. Call or fold?
Tagged:

Comments

• bingyianbingyian Posts: 90Subscriber
    never ever folding. His sizing on the river is sooo rarely a flush. Looks like a queen blocking to me. Also never folding to his turn raise in position given small sizing. Again, it looks like a stop raise.

Call me crazy...but could we min raise fold this river? We might not be deep enough
  • bingyianbingyian Posts: 90Subscriber
    I understand it may be hard to get called by worse...but I think it may be a river free roll
  • Letmewin1Letmewin1 Posts: 1,244Member
    I think calling is fine, I think you'll see a hand you beat often enough.
  • ArenzanoArenzano Posts: 1,464Subscriber
    I think you're decision is to either call or jam. V shouldn't have many FD that raise the turn - KQhh being the primary combo. I would not expect him to raise QJhh or QThh, but it is possible.
  • rinkers2003rinkers2003 Posts: 85Member
    edited January 2017
    I just think with the A coming on the river it is hard for V to bet the river with less than two pair. If he has a Q he is most likely going to check and there are very few 2 pair combos he has here since I have two of the aces. I never really thought of raising but decided to call and was shown Q 10
  • JoannaJoanna Posts: 428Member
    call. he's not raising fd ott often.
    bingyian wrote: »
    never ever folding. His sizing on the river is sooo rarely a flush. Looks like a queen blocking to me. Also never folding to his turn raise in position given small sizing. Again, it looks like a stop raise.

Call me crazy...but could we min raise fold this river? We might not be deep enough

not crazy cuz v line not consistent with flush. thin? sure.

Arenzano wrote: »
    I think you're decision is to either call or jam. V shouldn't have many FD that raise the turn - KQhh being the primary combo. I would not expect him to raise QJhh or QThh, but it is possible.

jam for value?
    JRubes31 wrote: »
    I just think with the A coming on the river it is hard for V to bet the river with less than two pair. If he has a Q he is most likely going to check and there are very few 2 pair combos he has here since I have two of the aces. I never really thought of raising but decided to call and was shown Q 10

ok unlucky i think. fd+pair is one few hands pops turn with. he's not doing it with naked fd often if ever.

• maphacksmaphacks Posts: 2,009Subscriber
    IMO it's more of a question between call and raise. Qx makes the most sense so I just call. I don't see him playing sets that way often enough to justify raising the river.
  • iamalliniamallin Posts: 1,173Subscriber, Professional
    edited January 2017
    I am no great player. That honor probably rests with the true pros on this site ( aka mr chan aka acdc aka Mr livetells )

But you have to bet bigger. The single biggest secret to increasing your winrate at smaller stakes is bigger bet sizing.

That half pot turn bet is missing a ton of value. As a general rule you can never go wrong betting 70 to 80% pot on flops and turns on anything but the dryest of boards.

As played call is fine. Given that he is an old player we don't expect him to show up with many thin value bets here and it's even more ambitious to assume an old guy will call down with 2 pair or sts here. So I call. Against a more aggressive young player we should consider a thin value raise.