Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

AA in big pot with paired board

bkbbkb Posts: 4Subscriber
edited December 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
Playing a $2/$5 NLHE game at Aria last weekend:

I've been at the table for about 2 hours, hovering around my initial buy-in of $1,000. I have a relatively tight image, have had to bet/fold a couple of hands on the river to big over bets.

Villain in this hand frequently aggressive, c-bets a lot, capable of bluffing, tends to throw out feeler bets that are very small with his mediocre hands, has typically taken the lead in hands.

I get dealt AA in middle position.

Preflop:

UTG+1 ($750) opens for $20
Hero A A ($1000) raises to $65
Villain on the button calls ($2100)
UTG+1 calls

Pot size: ~$200

Flop: K 7 :s: 10

UTG+1 checks
Hero (~$950) bets $145
Villain (~$2050) calls
UTG+1 folds

Pot is at around $500

Turn: K

Hero ($790) thinks for 20 seconds and bets $235
Villain ($1900) tanks for 45-60 seconds and shoves all in

My thinking here is that AK, KK, QQ are 4-betting preflop. KQ and KJ suited might flat from the button preflop. I'd believe anything from JJ-77 is flatting hoping to hit their set.

I'm surprised if KQ or KJ is shoving all in here since my hand could easily be AK. My read was for pocket 10s, but seems weird to speed up so much on the turn with what's likely the nuts when I'm clearly willing to take the lead here.

Seems like an obvious fold to me—I basically only beat a bluff at this point. Would you have played the hand differently? My preflop and flop bet sizing seem okay to me; the turn bet could be a little small?
Tagged:

Comments

• Letmewin1Letmewin1 Posts: 1,244Member
    Check the turn, because you can have AK this is a pretty trivial fold.
    Thanked by 1squishmytomato
  • pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    edited December 2016
    Agree check turn. What worse are you getting value from? Maybe your thinking small sizing gives a worse hand odds to call? It looks like TT figuring you have AK or it is AK soul reading your AA both figuring you can't fold. Fold.
  • AcidhaussAcidhauss Posts: 291Subscriber
    I think when he calls a 0.75psb on the flop, with another guy left to act he's going to be really, really Kx heavy especially when you're betting large on a board that smashes your range. Therefore I think its a fold.

If it were UTG I think theres more credence to calling, as he could have hands like QJs, 98s with the cold-caller on the button making the odds more attractive.
    Thanked by 1HareRee
  • WVKing304WVKing304 Posts: 36Subscriber
    Terrible turn card for you. I think the turn is a check. Not getting called by worse. A10 is clear fold. QJ & 98 suited are folding too. Turn is a check & evaluate. I might've checked the flop looking to check raise here sometimes but there's too many draws and bad turn cards you're giving for free if the button checks back.
  • iamalliniamallin Posts: 1,173Subscriber, Professional
    On flop you bet aa kk ak and AQs and occasionally some bluff like J9s

On turn if you bet ak and bluffs but check aa, your checking range is exposed.

If he is a decently loose player I like betting the turn with aa ...

So we have 9 strong hands, 6 medium strength hands and some bluffs like aq and J9 on the turn.

Facing a raise we have a trivial fold with aa.

Even if we check the turn, we can't simply check fold on turn. So we are check calling turn planning to check fold river.

We could also check everything on the turn. But then we lose our ability to bluff.

I think jj and qq could find a call on turn thinking that the paired k makes it less likely for u to hold ak.

• iamalliniamallin Posts: 1,173Subscriber, Professional
    I would check fold qq on flop.

Reasons
    1. 3 way pot..less responsibility on u to defend ur checks.
    2 less likely button gets out of line in 3 way pots.
    3. Qq blocks qj and aq..some of the draws that may bluff if we check.
    4. There aren't any good turn cards for qq.