Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Ace high with NFD blocker facing heat

TastesLikeBurningTastesLikeBurning Posts: 429Subscriber, Professional
edited December 2016 in NLHE Strategy Discussion
$2/5 $1k effective.

Hero has a losing image, a bunch of small pots and one big one where he flopped bottom set and jammed turn into the nut flush (hero didn't draw out). Not seeming tilted though, still laughing & having a good time with the table.

Villain is a 30's Asian guy who has stopped playing PLO to get back to NLHE. Has a super wide range pre, is sticky post and makes all sorts of leads into the PFR when it seems like the board doesn't fit their range. He'll also bet hands with SDV regardless of flop texture. Has bottom pair/garbage kicker on K84? bet/bet/bet.

Saw a hand he played where UTG opened, he flatted with 32o next in, THEN the next dude in 3bet to 90, the original PFR folded, and 32o called. Flop came 976sss (v had no spade), and he check/called a bet. turn was the 5d and 32o dude check/shoved and got a fold. A special player.

Hero straddles BTN, weak 60s white guy limps up front, villian limps CO, hero bets $50 with A T :s:. Only villain calls

Flop: ($120) 8 8 5
V bets $40, hero calls

Turn: ($200) 8 8 5 5
V bets $100, hero calls.

River: ($400) 8 8 5 5 9
V bets $225. Hero? 67 got there but he can easily try to rep it. We block the NFD, so how much does that play into whether we call?
Tagged:

Comments

• BananaStandBananaStand Posts: 1,455Troll
    I don't think the NFD blocker makes a bit of difference. Sounds like he can have full houses, straights, and flushes here. If you add up all those combos, you're probably into the triple digits. That means you have to find a few dozen combos of airballs that he triple barrels with.

I know you saw him get frisky in the past. Sometimes villains have reads on other villains that we don't. So they seemingly do crazy things that they wouldn't otherwise do against us. Sometimes tilt, mood, winning/losing, inebriation, or egos compel people to do weird stuff.

Or, sometimes the guy really is a compulsive gambler with no restraint. The worst thing you could do is pay him off. You lose to way too many hands here. Fold.
    Thanked by 1TastesLikeBurning
  • dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
    Even the craziest of players are going to slow down on that river that completes literally everything. I'm expecting him to have 8x or 5x almost always. I probably play the hand the same way as you, then fold the river.
  • Letmewin1Letmewin1 Posts: 1,244Member
    I don't think having Axd changes much here.
    It seems like your plan based on his profile was to call him down, what changed?
    I'm not saying I'm picking any option over the other/s but you thought he was wide enough to have some hands that you beat based on previous lines and SD and based on that maybe you should follow through??
  • JKHJKH Posts: 837Subscriber
    I think u are gonna see a lot of 8x and some pairs like 66 77 5x I typically lie giving up flop or turn in spots like this unless I have history to know player will air all into me here or can bluff.
    So I think the river is a fold and likely the turn is a fold or raise and mainly a fold cause player is sticky and we have a bad image.
  • TastesLikeBurningTastesLikeBurning Posts: 429Subscriber, Professional
    I wound up folding, was planning on him checking back a lot of rivers but this one fit too many hands that either backed into a flush, rivered top pair and he was turning into a bluff, or backed into a straight. Of course he can have a 5 or 8 here as well. While he's a button clicker, he understands his image so he will take this line with made hands as well.
  • David ChanDavid Chan Posts: 1,208Pro
    I would probably bluff raise flop. Given that he is a button clicker who will bet weak SDV on river, this is probably a river fold.
    Thanked by 1Rocketman74
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    DavidChan wrote: »
    I would probably bluff raise flop.
    I would definitely be raising this flop ESPECIALLY vs this player
    If I bluff raise the flop, I'm going to have to barrel turn and river and at the time IMO he wasn't going to fold anything. Raising here would be spew.
  • Rocketman74Rocketman74 Posts: 451Subscriber
    If I bluff raise the flop, I'm going to have to barrel turn and river
    why? you're in position
    at the time IMO he wasn't going to fold anything. Raising here would be spew.
    fair enough... why are you calling his flop bet then? is this a guy you want to float (even if you may have the best hand?)

...it would appear that, after you call the turn, he is betting most rivers so is relinquishing control of the hand otf and then continuing to call ott really the best play? I'm not sure.
    If I bluff raise the flop, I'm going to have to barrel turn and river
    why? you're in position
    at the time IMO he wasn't going to fold anything. Raising here would be spew.
    fair enough... why are you calling his flop bet then? is this a guy you want to float (even if you may have the best hand?)

...it would appear that, after you call the turn, he is betting most rivers so is relinquishing control of the hand otf and then continuing to call ott really the best play? I'm not sure.

I'm gonna have to barrel turn and river in order to have any semblance of fold equity versus this player. It's hard to convey this on a message board, but this guy NEVER FOLDED.

I called the flop because, while he could have an 8, he can have a flush draw, a straight draw, a sugar packet and cocktail napkin, whatever. At the time, I thought ace high rated to be the best hand. Not to mention I have a backdoor nut flush draw.

We block the NFD so it's in our range. When he bets the river, the fact that all these draws come in yet he's willing to barrel lead me to believe we are beat. If he bluffed me with zero equity, so be it. I think he has some SDV.