Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Under The Gun 75: Should you go Pro?

CLP_CraigCLP_Craig Posts: 790Administrator
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! This week Tuck discusses "Going Pro" with Ryan Feldman and the ineptitude of NFL coaches with Daliman

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/should-you-go-pro
Tagged:

Comments

• GonzoPokerGonzoPoker Posts: 38Subscriber
    Very insightful Dave I wish I would've heard it a month and a half ago before I quit my job to go pro it's really tough out here
    Thanked by 1DavidTuchman
  • GhostDogGhostDog Posts: 328Subscriber
    Just wanted to second @DavidTuchman's thanks to Ryan Feldman for his honesty. Great episode!
    Thanked by 1DavidTuchman
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    I played with Ryan one night at Hustler after he left ESPN.. didnt know who he was at first but then he was talking about leaving etc.. Lets say it didnt go well for him. He definitely made some "moves" that unfortunately mainly due to his losing image didnt work.
    Thanked by 1DavidTuchman
  • fishcakefishcake Posts: 1,002Subscriber
    You really better know what it takes if you go pro. As someone who has played for almost his sole income for 5 years now and is going through his worst year ever, I have to tell you it is not easy. You have to love poker and work really hard.
  • ThehammahThehammah Posts: 7,090Subscriber
    fishcake wrote: »
    You really better know what it takes if you go pro. As someone who has played for almost his sole income for 5 years now and is going through his worst year ever, I have to tell you it is not easy. You have to love poker and work really hard.

Fishcake

I feel for you man!.. I used to think If anything happened like I got laid off or something I would just play poker. I dont think that now.. now way. Firstly I luckedbox into a great career that pays me very well. Secondly I actually really like my job.. and finally the pressure of having to win to make the mortgage etc would really take alot of the fun out.

I love the idea that I can play poker on the side while still having my lifestyle the way it is.. good luck!!!
    Thanked by 1DavidTuchman
  • DavidTuchmanDavidTuchman Posts: 791Pro
    GonzoPoker wrote: »
    Very insightful Dave I wish I would've heard it a month and a half ago before I quit my job to go pro it's really tough out here

Hey Gonzo, nothing wrong with going and getting a job? ... keep playing poker, but take some of the pressure of you

Good luck!!!
  • DavidTuchmanDavidTuchman Posts: 791Pro
    GhostDog wrote: »
    Just wanted to second @DavidTuchman's thanks to Ryan Feldman for his honesty. Great episode!

Thanks Ghost!

• pokertimepokertime Posts: 2,194Subscriber
    Never ceases to amaze me how many pros say don't do it. It's harder than it may seem and so many started young and did it for so long they don't have a lot of job options now with no resume. It seemed great in 2006 when you could print money but not so easy now. Bart and David are smart they went the broadcasting route as a second income.

Have had some friends in some well known bands with similar stories. Had a great run for 10 years but weren't making millions to save away. Now they aren't as popular and can barely get a low paying day job in between low paying tours.