Welcome.

Take a tour. Enjoy some free sample content.

How it works

Free Video: CLP Video No. 287: Home Game Bart Reviews His Splashy At $1-$3 Deep Part 2

Free Podcast: CLP Podcast No. 54: Time Warp And Turn Value
New to Crush Live Poker?

Crush Live Call-ins No. 107: Sticky River Spots

Bart HansonBart Hanson Posts: 6,113Administrator, LeadPro
This week Bart takes some calls mostly dealing with sticky river spots. Whether or not to value bet thin, bluff catch, and bet sizing.

http://www.crushlivepoker.com/podcasts/sticky-river-spots
Tagged:

Comments

• dpbuckdpbuck Posts: 2,060Subscriber
    In the last hand with Norman, hero is deciding whether to bluffcatch the river with JJ on QQ84A after villain opened, hero 3-bet, then villain bet flop, turn and river. I'm thinking about one of @stayinschool 's topics in his most recent video. Shouldn't JJ be a fold in this spot as we block quite a few of his logical bluffing hands (TJ/9J), making his bet on the river much more likely to be value?

Hoping @stayinschool listened to this Call In Show and will chime in to make sure I followed along with what he said in that video...
  • stayinschoolstayinschool Posts: 2,969Subscriber
    Yea I thought that hand was interesting. About the flop I would say there are two different strategies. You can bet Qx+ for a large sizing or bet JJ+ for a smaller sizing. I slightly lean towards betting around 30% pot OTF with JJ+ because on a paired board it puts a lot of weak hands in a tough spot.

I also want to address that fact that I'm guessing a lot of players are more likely to bet AA on this flop than JJ. It's important to realize JJ is the same as AA here and JJ is actually better to bet than AA for two reasons. First, JJ needs protection from an A or K coming while AA needs no protection. Second, JJ is better to bet because it is worse as a bluff catcher given it's blockers. So the fact that we are checking JJ here should mean we have KK and AA here too.

OTR you are right @dpbuck JJ is not a great hand to call due to the blockers, JT, J9, KJ. I would have AK for sure and sounds like the caller would too, I would probably have AJ against certain villains too. Also some 8x is probably better to call, I don't see people ever betting this river with less than Ax. We also still have 6 combos of KK, 3 of AA and probably the 1 QQ. I might have Q8s too but the caller probably might not. So to answer your question DP JJ is probably a fold given it is one of the worse hands to call with, however if V is just bluffing to much you should obviously call. However the point of using blockers is that V could be bluffing too much when you are holding 87s here but not be bluffing enough when you are holding JJ.
    Thanked by 1dpbuck